Friday, July 18, 2008

Rock The Reception


From TLC's Press Release:

"Rock the Reception" follows two engaged couples as they painstakingly and often clumsily - rehearse a professionally choreographed production number as their surprise first dance for their wedding reception. The happy couple is taught their mighty moves by veteran husband and wife choreography team Napoleon and Tabitha D'Umo (So You Think You Can Dance), who have trained such superstars as Justin Timberlake, Beyonce and Celine Dion. But the fun of watching the couple's surprise dance number come to fruition is nothing compared to the shock, screams and whistles from their stunned wedding guests.

Yes!!!! Another wedding reality show! (just what we needed. *enter sarcastic look here*) I didn't get an opportunity to check out the debut the other night - but I think the rerun airs sometime today - and I'll DVR it because curiousity has definitely got the best of me.

Now, to be totally honest - I doubt it very seriously if I'll become a die hard Rock The Reception fan - but I MUST watch so that I can see why my idea for an African American wedding show has been rejected over and over again.


When I decided to create this blog - I promised myself that I would try not to make this a breeding ground for negativity - but I think it's important to 'keep it real'. I've been on a quest for almost 5 years to try to introduce positive images of black women in the mainstream media via television by way of the Chocolate Brides brand - and I've been shown the door...over and over and over again. I was confident that networks like TV ONE & BET J would understand my plight, but BOY was I wrong. Well...I think they UNDERSTOOD - they just weren't interested. (I'll save that story for another day) Perhaps if my tv treatment included some shuckin' & jivin' - or subscribed to the stereotypical image of a finger snappin', neck & eye rollin', attitude havin' black woman, I'd probably have a primetime tv show by now.

The bridal blogosphere is definitely talking about ROCK THE RECEPTION. The following are quotes taken from Manolo For The Brides.

I’m watching one of those nanny shows, which is bad enough. But even worse, they just showed an advert for “Rock the Reception“. It’s a reality show…about people who are doing an unconventional first dance.

Let me say that again. A REALITY SHOW. About people who are doing an unconventional first dance. It’s an hour-long show…about a three-minute event.

Americans are complete whores for this crap.


I would have loved to have attended the concept meeting for this show. I’m picturing a member of TLC’s creative team, the wedding division. He’s late and he’s unprepared, and he’s hiding behind his laptop trying to look serious but secretly watching YouTube clips his deadbeat housemate e-mailed to him at 3 a.m. When the big boss looks in his direction, our ideas man draws on the first thing his eyes light upon, which is the video of a bride and groom dancing to U Can’t Touch This. He’s saved! Saved by the Interwebs! - Never teh Bride


Seriously? How is that a show? I’m all for unconventional first dances but I don’t see how it interests anyone but the people at the wedding. -Stephanie


It seems like if you have a show that’s even vaguely wedding related it’ll get greenlit. -Blahlover5


I am laughing out REALLY loud at that last comment cause that aint true AT ALL! But hey - I aint hatin'. If you think that you'd make a good candidate for the show, you can apply >>HERE<<.

And after all is said and done, I'll still watch. I'll be pouting - but I'll be watching.

4 comments:

Mrs.Tiye said...

TV stations are sooo clique-ish.

Boo.

CBTV!
CBTV!
CBTV!

Maybe CB is BIGGER than bridal.... Chocolate Brides Network...coming soon

Anonymous said...

It seems like a cute concept, but I can't see myself watching more than one or two episodes. Maybe nobody told them YouTube is FULL of unique and creative first dances. And I can watch those at my leisure.

THE Chocolate Bride said...

SOOOOOO -

I watched it. And just as I anticipated....I'm not impressed.

Netta said...

I watched it and i though the concept of the show was good..It was not what I expected..
I will say that I really liked the couple where the lady had cancer..I liked how they did their dance..It was really cute
~Nettaboo