Sunday, July 20, 2008

Someone Shoot the DJ

It was the most perfect day of my life. My prince had come and before God and 180 witnesses, we pledged our love to each other. We took enchanted pictures in a Japanese Garden and then planned to dance the night away with our family at our glorious reception. AND then....my DJ played, "Baby when I used to love you" by John Legend...What the Smelly Hell was on his Bird!?
This got me to thinking. What other musical faux pas have Dj's committed during other people's dream weddings? Your DJ can make or break your reception. One bad spin of any of the following and you can feel free to break his neck. Truthfully, though most of these are songs that I just KNOW are off limits, some of these were actually found on reception song lists! I give my own explanations for a few, you can pretty much add up your own for others, and for the rest, do a search for their lyrics...


  1. She Used to Be My Girl - The Ojays : The LAST thing your husband of about an hour wants to hear is an ode to the love some other man lost in you. I know its a smooth track, but why would a WEDDING DJ even have this in his catalog? Bar fight waiting to happen. THE ONLY way I can see this one flying, is maybe your dad...but even then, you still his little girl so um...yeah.
  2. The Way That I Love - Ashanti : Again, a club-banger song. However, the words imply that your new hubby ain't feeling the same about you that you are towards him. Not cute.
  3. Secret Lovers - Atlantic Star : Are you serious?
  4. Not Gon Cry - Mary J. Blige : If you hear this at the reception, look around to the tables for the girl sobbing into her salad. That, my dear is either an ex of the groom, or someone who is totally sick of always being the bridesmaid and never the bride. I'm a Mary NUT and will allow just about any Mary music to be played at ANY occasion, but uh, this will not substitute for a slow jam.
  5. If Your Girl Only Knew - Aaliyah: Hearing this at a wedding will not only ask who is the L-I-Y-A-H but who is the M-I-S-T-R-E-S-S.
  6. On Bended Knee - BoyzIIMen: Okay, so I know that the terms "on bended knee" bring proposals to mind, but goodness people, listen to the lyrics! This is a breakup song. He's begging for the chick to come back.
  7. Who Knows-Musiq : We all love Musiq for great wedding songs, but this one is not one of them. This song is actually about him campaigning for a woman to take him up on the offer of a one-night-stand.
  8. I Love You - Dru Hill
  9. Anita Baker - Fairytales
  10. Jodeci - Love You For Life, Feenin
  11. Don't Let Go, Hold on- EnVogue
  12. He's Mine - Mokenstef
  13. I think its better that I tell you now - Jill Scott
  14. I Can Love U Better - MJB
  15. Float on - The Floaters
  16. Just my Imagination
  17. Don't Be Afraid - Aaron Hall
  18. You Can Have a Piece of my love - Aaron Hall
  19. You Don't Have to Call - Usher
  20. Half on a Baby, Your Remind Me, Ignition - R. Kelly
  21. Burn, You Got It Bad - Usher
  22. Where I wanna Be - Donnell Jones
  23. ANYTHING TANK : If you've elver listened to Tank, you know that the majority of his songs that have been released are "Baby please forgive me for cheating on you" songs.
  24. I Love Your Girl - The Dream
  25. Congratulations - Vesta
What I believe to be the culprit of these major bad music choices, is that people listen to the beat and the rhythm and pay very little attention to the lyrics of these songs. What may sound great in the club, does not a reception song make. Even if you love the dj you have selected and you just know that he/she would never put you through these, make sure you submit a "Do not Play" list, just in case. You'd be surprised the requests that your dj might receive. And for the love of goodness, people, listen to the lyrics!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg, this list was hilarious! I'm sure most people know these songs word for word, and still don't realize what the heck they are singing!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston -- one of the best BREAKUP songs of all time. Arrgh!

Lexus Events said...

This list is true comedy! Yeah a conversation would need to be had with the DJ before the party begins so this type of thing wont happen

Anonymous said...

Your best blog yet!

Anonymous said...

ROLF. This is just too funny. Makes me remember how the DJ messed up our reception. Aren't there meetings with the DJ beforehand? This made my day.

Anonymous said...

OMG This list is funny but I still love Musiq's Whoknows! LOLOL

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I can't STAND that! Some of these DJs need to be shot for some of the things I've heard played at weddings.

Anonymous said...

HILLARIOUS!! A friend of mine had a set up where guests could requests songs on a site all day a few weeks prior to the wedding. I thought that was really SMART. That gave her time to edit out any foolishness and told the DJ EXBLACKLY what he should play. nothing more nothing less.

Netta said...

OMG..I often think about this when they play those songs at weddings and I think..Don't you know that is not a love song!!!
Another one I have heard is As We Lay!!
~Nettaboo

Trini~Lily said...

LOL. That list is funny. There is a local DJ on the radio who told the listening audience that he attended a wedding and the DJ played Secret Lovers. Needless to say, the whole male side of the Bridal party gave him a beat down. Now I'm not promoting violence, but ... -exits stage left-