Monday, August 4, 2008

To Bar or Not to Bar -


Trust me - I know that LAST thing that you want is somebody telling you the rights and wrongs of planning YOUR wedding. Especially when YOU'RE the one footing the bill. Chile please.

I came across this very interesting article on MSN about "wedding traditions" as it relates to having open bar. Disclaimer: Don't be offended this is just somebody's opinion - aint nothin' that they're saying law.

Going to a wedding reception that does not have an open bar is like going to California and only seeing Fresno. No offense to Fresno, which I am told is lovely, but no one goes to the West Coast just to check out the haps in the San Joaquin Valley. At the risk of mixing analogies, you go to California to drink margaritas in San Diego, have a few Red Bull and vodkas in Los Angeles and enjoy fine wine in San Francisco.

An open bar is part of the unspoken contract between bridal party and guests. In exchange for a generous gift and any expenses incurred through the purchase of new hair styling, clothes or travel, you must provide your guests with an opportunity to make total asses of themselves in a rented space. You win out in the long run because you will own your reception video — and what is left of their reputations — forever.

Besides, you don't want to be known as a closed-bar wedding. You could host an elaborate ceremony on a scenic Hawaiian bluff with the Rev. Jesse Jackson presiding as the bride and groom parachute from a B-52 Stratofortress while Yo-Yo Ma and Kid Rock perform a breathtaking duet and, if you don't provide free booze, the only thing any guy in attendance will say about that day is, “Dude, closed bar.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For my wedding, I had a open bar with plenty of liquor. My brother and brother in laws took a lot home with them. I live in Louisiana and a party/celebration will not be one without a drink!

Xsyntriq said...

We're not having a bar at all. I already know that this is going to cause some 'discussion' among my uncles but that's tough noogies. They aren't footing the bill.

But I will make a mental to note to find out if I will get penalized if those uncles decide to BYOB.

Unknown said...

For our wedding, we decided not to have a bar. Neither one of us are drinkers, so we did not think it was an expense we wanted. Even without alcohol, we still partied and had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

I never get why most people assume there is going to be an open bar. It's just plain ole' stupid to want to go to a wedding and get drunk. It's like people can not enjoy themselves unless they are drinking.

With that said I am providing a bottle of champange for each table and we are having a CASH bar. If you want to drink pay your own BILL. Simple as that!

Chef GaNeane - The Femme Foodie said...

I plan on having a hosted bar...I know that is is a luxury, kind of a "platinum" expense...but that is one I am willing to have as I am having signature cocktails...