Monday, August 25, 2008

For Those of You In Love With Photography.....

We all know that there are some things that are areas of our weddings that we are not willing to negotiate on. Mine was photography. My photgrapher HAD to be excellent, and he HAD to do photojournalism. When I say that I lucked out finding him, I mean I REALLY lucked out...

The one reason that I loved my photographer so much is because he and I had the same types of ideas in our head when it came to him working with the wedding. I didn't want many formal pictures and really wanted him to catch the essence of what was going on throughout the entire day. If I had high expectations, I can assure you that he performed above and beyond them. I was at ease with his level of participation throughout the day, and when I look at my pictures I am literally thrown back into that day and loving every minute of it.

This brings me to a couple of points that most brides who are photography snobs such as myself should always remember....

Your wedding pictures will define your memories of the big day for the rest of your life, so it's very important to choose the right photographer. To help you make the best choice, we've compiled a list of 16 questions to ask potential photographers.

1. What's the photographer's primary style -- traditional, candid, or posed? (Go for someone whose forte is your favorite style.)

2. What's the photographer's philosophy about shooting weddings? (This question will give you an idea of the shutterbug's expertise and passion for his work.)

3. Does the photographer shoot in color, black and white, or both?

4. How independent is the photographer? Does she prefer that you describe exactly what you want, or would she rather have free rein to capture the festivities on film? (This point determines how you two will work together.)

5. Will the photographer you talk with be the one who actually takes your wedding pictures? (This is crucial! Each photographer's style is unique.)

6. Has the photographer shot many weddings? (Experts say a wedding neophyte is a risk. You want someone who's experienced with wedding mechanics and won't miss key moments.)

7. How many weddings will the photographer shoot on your wedding weekend (or even on your wedding day)?

8. Is the photographer open to a list of must-take photos (pictures you definitely want shot)?

9. How does the photographer determine price? By the number and kind of prints you think you'll want, the hours the photographer spends on your wedding, the developing time, or a combination of the above factors? How many rolls of film will be shot, and how many proofs and final prints will result? Are packages available? Can you get a price list?

10. What kinds of cameras does the photographer use? (This will acquaint you with the photographer's experience and knowledge.)

11. What kind of lighting and other equipment (such as tripods) does the photographer use? Does the photographer bring backup equipment in case of emergency?

12. Does the photographer develop his own film? How long does he keep negatives? Can you buy your negatives from the photographer?

13. Ask yourself: Does this seem like a person you could tolerate throughout your wedding day? You'll want to feel very comfortable around your photographer. Rapport is important with all wedding professionals, but it's crucial here!

14. Carefully examine each photographer's past work (the book). Be sure you're looking at work shot by this particular photographer, not by other professionals who work at the same studio.

15. Notice whether:

photos are framed and centered well

photos are over- or underexposed

lighting is effective

details are visible

people look comfortable and relaxed

16. Call references and ask:

Were you satisfied overall?

Did the photographer get the shots you wanted?

Has the photographer responded promptly to orders?

Once you've found a photographer with the skill set, style, vision, and personality you're looking for, you'll need to agree on a contract.

Some people believe that a good wedding photographer ONLY photographs weddings. I don't particularly believe that frame of thought, but then again, that is just me. I believe that a true photographer can catch moments in time just as they are supposed to be caught, whether you are wearing a wedding dress, or posing with your family.

Have fun when choosing a photographer and make sure that every penny that you spend is worth it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photography was THE most important aspect of my wedding. I am a photo whore...love taking them and love being in them. I couldn't agree more with your points on being diligent that you and your photographer see eye to eye.

SouthernBelle said...

These are some great points one should be aware of!

Mrs.Tiye said...

I too ADORED my photagraphers!!! Proffessionalism and understanding of wedding mechanics was key.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! What a great article. I am such a snob when it comes to photography especially since I am such a camera 304! This are excellect points and tips that I can use while I wreck my brain 1millions times when I am looking for my "perfect" photographer.

Anonymous said...

Great article...Our photographer was good (not great)...I needed this information when I was doing my planning..

Anonymous said...

I absolutely ADORED my photographer. The crazy part is, he is now booked for the next year!!! He was awesome. There were shots that we later saw, and we asked "Where was he?" "When'd he do that?" I was skeptical about the cost, but it was worth every penny.

h.smith

Anonymous said...

DivaBride who was your photographer and where is he/she located?

Suite B said...

I swear with everything I cut from my budget wedding the one thing I was not willing to do without was my photographer. I'm spending more money on him than I am my food because if I don't have the memories nothing else matters